Hi! I'm Dr. Angela Payumo
How does this work?
Cystitis in Women or UTI
Cystitis is an infection in the bladder. In fact, the condition is common in women. To note, a common urinary tract infection symptom includes the urge to pass urine frequently. To add, burning or stinging while passing urine are also common symptoms too. In brief, the usual treatment is a quick course of antibiotics. Although, sometimes the symptoms clear up without any medications. In most people, cystitis will clear up quickly. In addition, it usually clears up with no problems too. To sum, this article will discuss urinary tract infection symptoms and treatment.
Urinary tract infection symptoms
- Urge to pass urine frequently
- The need to pass urine urgently
- Burning or stinging while passing urine
- Passing blood in the urine
- Discomfort in the abdomen
Cystitis is much more common in women. In fact, this is because the urethra is shorter. Additionally, the urethra is closer to the anus in women as well. However, there are other factors that can increase the chances of having cystitis. Examples include:
- Being pregnant
- By being sexually active
- If you use spermicide for birth control
- History of diabetes
- Also, if you have a catheter
- Suffer from other abnormalities in your kidneys or bladder
- If you have a compromised immune system due to AIDS or chemotherapy
Schedule an Appointment Today
Delivery Service Available!
Typically, treatment consists of the following:
- Most times, symptoms will improve by themselves. But, if they do not, a quick course of antibiotics is all that is needed. To sum, symptoms will usually improve within a day or two after starting the antibiotics.
- Also, take Paracetamol or Ibuprofen for pain relief.
To close, be sure to seek medical advice if you develop a fever and or your symptoms do not improve. Importantly, if you are pregnant or have other underlying medical issues, always seek medical advice for cystitis. Above all, do not wait for symptoms to improve on their own.
Methods for prevention include, for instance:
- Firstly, wipe your bottom from front to back after going to the toilet.
- Secondly, ensure that you pass urine after having sex.
- Finally, stay hydrated. Thus, it is important to drink liquids to avoid dehydration.